Friday, December 16, 2011

Wahiba Sands - Desert crossing


Wahiba Sands is a region of desert in Oman between Muscat and Sur.


For the casual visitor, it is best to convoy across the sands with a guide.
Lets say a 4wheel drive is essential.


The desert has no provisions available. Just miles and miles of beautiful dunes calling to you, but be careful the dunes don't take prisoners.


Pictures can't describe the beauty or the unforgiving sands. This poor guy just took a 12 foot dive and lost his 2 front wheels.


We also played a little. All the kids had glow in the dark necklaces and we sent off several lanterns into the black night.


This jeep was a friend of ours. He couldn't get up... so down he went!


And so did his tires.


Fun toys all around! This powered paraglider soared through the skies.


Every few hundred yards, someone gets stuck. That is the highlight of the day.


If you can't get around them, make your own route.


King of the Hill...I'd hate to lose this one.


So, the tow trucks got stuck trying to rescue the white Prado. So, three jeeps were needed to pull out each other.


The rescuer being rescued.



Here I am ready to go!


I didn't get too far.


The gentle slopes of sand turning into hundred feet deep black holes of sand. It was scary. My SUV slide four feet on the side of a dune and I jumped and ran from the car thinking it was going to role at any minute. A guide ran up to me and asked if I was scared. I said "Yes!" He said "Can I drive your car?" I said "Absolutely!" I needed a breather after experiencing what I felt like was a near death experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment