Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lantern Walk

The annual lantern walk tells a story of St. Martain. Martain was a Roman soldier who one cold November night shared a piece of his warm cloak with a beggar. That night, he dreamed that the beggar's face was really Christ, and he learned that by helping others, he was really in service to God and the betterment of man. He quit the army and devoted his life to service, eventually becoming the Bishop of Tours.



We made a lantern and decorated ours with tissue paper pieces, leaves, and glitter glued onto a mason jar, then string and a wire were placed around the lip of the jar for a handle. We placed a tealight in and voila, a lantern!


We headed out on a walk through the trees singing lantern songs and looking out for wildlife. Deer scampered away as we walked on the path. Looking around, it appeared the lanterns were fireflies floating afar. Autumn is, indeed the crowning glory of the year, bringing us the fruition of months of thought and care.



And I will have to tell a few stories that tickled me this last week. I pushed my coffee table on it's side so I could vacuum.
Connor climbed to the top and sat. I said "Connor, you know you aren't suppose to sit on my coffee table like that!"
Connor said" Well mom, today I'm Humpty Dumpty."


So close to Thanksgiving but Christmas is in the air. We went to the local mall and Santa is already welcoming the children.
Connor pointed at Santa and said "Evan, Evan look it 's Santa!"
Santa said "Well, Hello Evan!"
Evan fell silent and his eyes went round "Santa knows my name!"

No comments:

Post a Comment